Thursday, November 1, 2012

The Asian's Personal Reaction...

When I first saw that we were to be reading Hamlet in class, the first thought that came to mind was the dreaded language that I would have to be deciphering.

I had read Romeo and Juliet freshman year (didn't read Othello sophomore year because I had Cope...), but I was a little familiar with the type of language that Shakespeare wrote. In a way, it's sort of it's own foreign language that you have to learn, just as you would French or German. Upon reading the first few pages of the play I began to realize that 3/4 of the things being said was not as difficult as I thought it would be to grasp.


A lot happens in Act I that sets up for what is to happen in acts to come. I thought that the relationships that Shakespeare created between his characters was beautifully done. Even though I might not have understood what was going on 100% of the time, I could really feel the disdain Hamlet felt for his mother's quick actions to marry her husband's brother. Shakespeare established a sense of a strong relationship between Hamlet and Hamlet through the way that Hamlet is so overcome with grief about his father's death. When Hamlet's mother was telling him that he really needed to get over this whole grieving thing and move on, I really just wanted to be like

And then when King Hamlet's ghost came to talk with Hamlet and told him that he may seek revenge for the murder that Claudius committed I was just like

But I've come to realize that Hamlet is not going to be as bad as I thought it would be and that I may actually be enjoying it. I'm just really excited to see Hamlet get his revenge!

PS: And I am really enjoying this whole blog thing. Kudos to Mrs. Milburn!


No comments:

Post a Comment