Sunday, November 11, 2012

Key Passages - Tevie Slug

III. I
Hamlet:   I have heard of your paintings too, well enough; God
    has given you one face, and you make yourselves
    another: you jig, you amble, and you lisp, and
    nick-name God's creatures, and make your wantonness
    your ignorance. Go to, I'll no more on't; it hath
    made me mad. I say, we will have no more marriages:
    those that are married already, all but one, shall
    live; the rest shall keep as they are. To a
    nunnery, go. 

I found this passage rather interesting, for a couple of reasons. First of all, Hamlet's mention of a kind of "two-facedness" is quite ironic, especially considering that word's popularity  in the parlance of our time. But also, that aspect of the passage really highlights and illuminates that whole theme of the play being appearance vs. reality; no one seems to know the truth about anyone else or the entire situation itself. Everything is a ruse and there are misunderstandings left and right that have already lead to one death and will probably lead to more. 

III. III
Hamlet:   Now might I do it pat, now he is praying;
    And now I'll do't. And so he goes to heaven;
    And so am I revenged. That would be scann'd:
    A villain kills my father; and for that,
    I, his sole son, do this same villain send
    To heaven.
    O, this is hire and salary, not revenge.
    He took my father grossly, full of bread;
    With all his crimes broad blown, as flush as May;
    And how his audit stands who knows save heaven?
    But in our circumstance and course of thought,
    'Tis heavy with him: and am I then revenged,
    To take him in the purging of his soul,
    When he is fit and season'd for his passage?
    No!
    Up, sword; and know thou a more horrid hent:
    When he is drunk asleep, or in his rage,
    Or in the incestuous pleasure of his bed;
    At gaming, swearing, or about some act
    That has no relish of salvation in't;
    Then trip him, that his heels may kick at heaven,
    And that his soul may be as damn'd and black
    As hell, whereto it goes. My mother stays:
    This physic but prolongs thy sickly days. 

This passage is extremely important in revealing Hamlet's true feelings towards King Claudius, the murder of his father, the Ghost's vengeful intentions and his own role in the whole situation. Hamlet expresses in this soliloquy that he understands the repercussions that will follow him because of his actions and therefore wants to wait for the most horrible occasion to finally go through with the deed to ensure that he'll be sending King Claudius straight to hell.  

No comments:

Post a Comment